Any committed journey to weight loss can take all your determination and will, but it’s no secret the final 5 kilos can be a real challenge, even for the most dedicated! With some focus and a plan of attack, you CAN shed those final kilos and reach your desired weight. Here are our 10 tips for finally getting the job done! 1. Keep a simple food and exercise journal Doing this even for a short time will help to highlight any habits that could be getting in the way of reaching your end goal. It’s the perfect reflective tool to tap into your good weeks by emulating them, and reduce those frustrating bad weeks! Awareness is key.
2. A little preparation goes a long way This is the most important step "if you fail to plan, "you plan to fail”. Spend a few hours on the weekend getting what you need together for the following week. If you are serious about losing weight, your nutrition needs to become a priority for at least a month. It just so happens 1 month is the perfect amount of time to lose 5 kilos. Imagine that. It could only be a month away! 3. High protein is your friend - especially at breakfast
Having more protein helps to boost metabolism, maintain and increase muscle tissue, and aid exercise recovery. Protein is digested more slowly than carbohydrates, which helps help curb your appetite and keep your hormones well regulated. Make breakfast your biggest meal of the day.
4. Increase your water intake – it makes all the difference
For many of us, our daily coffee habit, or a couple of wines with dinner are habits that have gradually crept into our lives. Increasing your water intake makes it naturally easier to reduce your milky coffee, alcohol, and calorie loaded juices. Drinking water before meals helps you eat less and keeps belly bloat in check, and a green tea is a great choice after each meal. Good hydration all day long can actually help you burn more calories, helping you reduce weight and stay healthier all year long. Swap to water or herbal tea and you are likely to see a reduction in weight. 5. Mix it up - go for a variety of exercise
If you only have 5-10 kg to lose, chances are you are already exercising regularly. But, your body gets used to exercising in a certain way, so altering the variety, intensity and timing can be all you need to kick-start the fat burning process again. Alter whatever you are doing now, even if it’s a little. If you are on a treadmill maybe it's the speed or the elevation that needs changing, or it's time to start doing a circuit session instead of weight training.
6. Cut out processed foods, and enjoy some healthy fats instead Cleaning up your diet is essential on any weight loss journey, especially when it comes to those stubborn final 5-10 kilos! Ditch whatever processed foods are still lurking in your diet. Start by clearing your cupboard. Have essential fatty acids (EFA) instead including avocados, olive oil, salmon, and walnuts. Not only will you feel more satisfied, but they have added bonus of being high in omega-3 fatty acids, which can help fight inflammation.
7. Get more sleep
Lack of sleep wreaks havoc on your emotional state, but it also affects your physical body. Research shows that feeling sluggish the day after a poor night's sleep causes people to eat an average of 549 extra calories without even realising it.
8. Go alcohol-free at least 5 days per week
Alcohol is the body’s first form of fuel before using anything else which could make your exercise effort a waste of time. Alcohol has the ability to inhibit your fat burning process, as well as adding unnecessary calories to your diet! 9. Get support – work with a trainer to shift your final 5-10 kilos Going solo on a weight-loss journey can work for some, by building a support system is essential to staying on track. Hiring a personal trainer is a great way to push for those last 5 kg. A trainer can make all the difference, but meeting your individual needs, challenge you, and holding you accountable. Even 3 sessions with a Personal Trainer can revamp your workout routine and help you reach your goals.
10. Be optimistic! Take these tips into consideration and keep a positive attitude, your attitude is more important than you might realise. Be optimistic and celebrate every kilo lost. Give yourself some praise for your continual effort and don’t be hard on yourself.